KIPP’s Webb Campus: Middle school enrollment open houses
KIPP DC’s Webb campus – also known as Northeast Academy – is opening a middle school in Summer 2014 and is enrolling 5th and 6th graders for the 2014-15 school year beginning December 16. Open houses coming up at 1375 Mount Olivet Road NE are:
December 17th – 5:30-6:30pm
January 21st – 5:30 – 6:30pm
February 11th – 5:30-6:30pm
TNA monthly community meeting: Tuesday, June 25
Please join us on June 25 at Trinidad Rec Center!
**UPDATED flyer below – additional guests include Tree House Lounge and Holy Name Catholic Church.**
This month representatives from EDENS (the folks behind the new Union Market) will present details of the proposed Gateway Market & Residences project, which will be located at the corner of 4th St. and Florida Ave. NE. We’ll also have updates from MPD-5D and neighborhood ANCs. As always, we’d love to hear your community announcements! After this meeting, we’ll be on summer break for July and August and will meet again on September 24.
A few additional updates to share:
- DDOT has initiated a multimodal safety and planning study of Florida Ave. NE. The first community meeting was this past Wednesday at Gallaudet University, and the next public meeting will take place in September. In all, DDOT plans to have three public meetings for the study. Please sign up for updates on the study’s site, and be sure to add your comments to the interactive map.
- This past Monday, June 17, Councilmember Muriel Bowser, Chairperson of the Committee on Economic Development and Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie, Chairperson of the Committee on Government Operations held a joint public roundtable on the surplus and lease of the Webb School property to KIPP DC. You can read TNA’s testimony here, and more about KIPP DC’s Webb Campus here.
- Thank you to all the neighbors who helped make this year’s TNA Garden Tour a smashing success! Check out some photos from the day on Frozen Tropics.
TNA community meeting: Tuesday, July 24
Please join us on July 24th at the Joe Cole Recreation Center!
Councilmember McDuffie’s office and DGS will discuss the recent fire at Webb E.S. and inform the community of the next steps with regard to the damage and the disposition process.
Mike Goodno from DDOT will share a bike lane proposal for West Virginia Avenue NE [pdf] The major change required to install the bicycle lanes per this draft plan would be the removal of the parking lane on the Gallaudet University side of the road. Removing this parking lane would create the necessary 10’ of roadway width to install a 5’ bicycle lane on each side of the road.
Webb E.S. fire is under investigation
As you likely know by now, Webb E.S. suffered a 2-alarm fire late Monday evening. The fire is under investigation, and early reports indicate that the building was not secure.
We have been pressuring the Department of General services over the past few months to increase the transparency of Webb’s property disposition. At this time, we do not know what the future of the building or the property will be; we have reached out to Councilmember McDuffie and will update you as new information becomes available.
Rather than attempt to paraphrase the coverage already out there, we will update the links below as we get them (please share any you’ve come across in the comments):
- DC Fire Department posted images and their experience with the blaze – DCFD
- Serious posts from Trinidad’s resident satirist – ToTville
- Webb Elementary School fire ignites in Northeast – ABC7
- Two-Alarm Fire Severely Damages Old D.C. School – NBC4
- Fire department investigates blaze at former D.C. elementary school – Washington Times
- More on Last Night’s Fire at Webb Elementary – Frozen Tropics
Your testimony needed ASAP on Webb E.S. surplus property
***UPDATE: DGS has extended the dealine for testimony to Friday, June 15, at 5:00 pm. Please send your written testimony to Brian Hanlon, Acting Director of DC Department of General Services, at email@example.com, cc’ing Althea O. Holford, Realty Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.***
Though it appears that a good majority of the community was unaware, the Department of General Services (DGS) held another public meeting on the disposition of Webb E.S. as a surplus property.
Webb was taken off the February public meeting agenda at the last minute, and DGS conducted an analysis of the property to identify whether or not it was suitable for a District agency use. Ultimately, such a use was not identified, and DGS held another meeting on May 17 to explain why the school is being surplused, to explain what the next steps are in the disposition process, and to solicit input from the community. You can review the presentation slides from that meeting here.
TNA was not notified of the May 17 meeting – when we found out about it this week, we contacted DGS for more information. We received the presentation slides and confirmation that the public record is open until Monday, June 11. We have requested a week extension to this deadline, and will update this post if that extension is granted.
In the meantime, please submit your written testimony, which will be added to the record of the public hearing,
by 5:00 pm on Monday, June 11 to Brian Hanlon, Acting Director of DC Department of General Services, at email@example.com, cc’ing Althea O. Holford, Realty Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public meeting on proposed surplus of Webb E.S. property: February 27
Department of General Services
NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETINGS REGARDING
SURPLUS RESOLUTIONS PURSUANT TO D.C. OFFICIAL CODE 10-801
The District will conduct a public hearing to receive public comments on the proposed surplus of the following District properties. The date, time and location shall be as follows:
Parcel No: 01410047 at 1375 Mount Olivet Road, (“Webb School Building”)
Parcel No: 01600045 at 820 26th Street NE, (“Young School Building”)
Monday, February 27, 2012
Trinidad Recreation Center
1310 Childress Street NE
Washington, DC 20002
Althea O. Holford, Real Estate Specialist
Department of General Services
202.478.2428 or email@example.com